Monday, March 31, 2014

Writing Advice With: Jessica Greyson

Hi everyone! :)
Today we have some amazing writing advice from Jessica Greyson, author of Annabeth's War and Captive Of Raven Castle! :)
(by the way, sorry that this post is so late!)


1. What is your favorite part about writing? Why?
The beginning of writing, is the best. When the words and character just start to come a live beneath your fingers, from the first word to the last, the first draft is always the best—for the author (at least in my mind) it has the purest intentions and feelings held within its pages with no one to mess, misinterpret or pick it apart yet. Granted those are all needed! But for me the best part of writing is the first draft.

2. Who helped you the most while you were beginning to write?
My mom has always been there to help me with writing in school. But it was my best friend that got me to finish my fiction stories, I had written many stories, but never finished them. When she started asking me to send my flawed work to her so she could read as I wrote, I found my first audience and it gave me the courage overcome obstacles and finish the story.

3. What first gave you the idea for Annabeth's War
Annabeth’s War is a accumulation of many things that all sparked at once and wove together into a story. There is a huge lack of girls that can be feminine and strong. That was something I really wanted to create, a strong woman, yet on with a healthy relationship with a man and was able to lean on his strength without losing herself. There were a few old story ideas that came up and mixed with new ones and this little thought synopsis for the story that ran through my head at midnight
A country at war.
A man whose life was changed on the battle field
A master of dark deeds.
Collide.
Fleeing for her life a price on her head.
A swordsman who has forgotten his faith
Meet by seeming chance
Battles ensues.
All must live…or die...
By the Sword
The original title was By The Sword, if that at all interests you.

4. Do you have any more projects in the works?
I always have something I am working on. I am going to try and refine a story that could possibly be part of a trilogy set in the old west. As well as playing around with a few different ideas that would expand my genres, and writing experience.

5. If you were to start over, what would you do differently? (Providing that you still had the knowledge of writing you do now?)
I am not sure what I would do differently, God writes each authors story to fit them so perfectly, it’s hard to say where I would like to improve. Really, it’s perfect, but I might put a little more courage in my soul, but it has all happened in God’s perfect timing, so I am content. Though one thing I will say is make sure you get a good editor, or be one.

6. Remembering when you were first starting out, what was the most important thing you were told, or learned along the way? 
Never give up. No matter how hopeless it seems, there is an audience out there for your book. And, Don’t write for the masses, not everyone will love your book, write for the few and far between who are like you, always looking for that ONE good book. Write with them in mind and you will be more satisfied then with the applause of thousands, and write for One person and One person alone. For at the end of the day, it won’t be the masses, your fans, your friends, or your family—it will be HIM, and that is all that matters, that you are pleasing and honoring Him.

7. What is the most valuable writing advice you can give to writers? 
Oh, there is a lot one can say, but instead of giving my own I would like to give some of the most influential people in my life...
Live and Write with:
No reserves.
No retreat.
No regrets.
--William Borden.
Cur Non (Why Not).
Lafayette family motto.

-Ysa-

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a kid friendly site, so please keep that in mind while commenting. Also, I aprechaite hearing your thoughts and will reply to your comment as soon as possible.