Saturday, May 30, 2015

Contest Results

Hello, I'm here to announce the winner of The Haven by Cara Simmons. And it is....


Mikayla L!!!!!! Congradulations!

Here is her entry and the poem it was based off of.


 “If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking”
 By Emily Dickinson

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.



I hurried along the cold cobblestone streets, tucking my hands further into my muff, lined with soft fur.

“Hurry, Isaac! The orphanage will be closed soon, and I want to drop the dresses off first!” I called to my butler. He nodded, silently following me, the parcels in his arms – many for the children, and one containing a beautiful dress that I simply could not wait to wear to church come morn.

“Work to stop only one heart from breaking, and you will have not lived in vain, my dear.”

My mother’s last words to me echoed in my ears. My father was a wealthy Englishman, and as such, I was spoiled beyond imagination. I made a habit of donating old clothes and toys to the orphanage. Today I had a few big bags filled to the brim with items, and I was excited that I would, once again, see their faces as they dug through my old treasures.

We rounded another corner, and I couldn’t keep the elated skip out of my step.

“Hello, Madame Eva! How happy we are to see you!” The plump old lady, Martha, who ran the orphanage called, opening the door to the orphanage.

I smiled, “Good evening! How are the children?”

“Hello, Eva!” The eighteen young girls in the building chorused. I waved hello, ducking into the establishment.

Martha chuckled, “They are well, Madame.”

I took the bags of clothes from Isaac, passing them to the girls. “Enjoy!”

It was then I noticed a new girl, a girl about my age, sitting in a corner, a sullen, angry look on her face, despair and longing in her eyes.

“Hello! My name is Eva Gertrude Edwards. What is your name?” I asked, smiling.

She frowned, “My name is Genevieve.”

“I haven’t seen you here before.”

“That would be because my parents were just killed in an accident. They were coming home from town in their carriage.” She said quietly.

“I’m so sorry, Genevieve.” I said, then wasting no time to second guess myself, I reached for her hand, “You know, Genevieve, I brought a special dress just for you.”

Pulling her to her feet, I practically had to drag her across the room to Isaac.

“Isaac, may I have the package we purchased earlier?”

He passed it to me, and I handed it to Genevieve. “It will suit you quite well, I think.”

I bit my lip, partially regretting the choice. That feeling washed away as soon as Genevieve opened the parcel, drawing out the sapphire blue dress, with the slippers and handbag to match, the new muff resting atop. Her eyes lit up. She looked at me curiously.

“Madame Eva, are you sure you wish me to have this?”

I smiled encouragingly at her, “Of course! And please, just Eva will do.”

Then the longing in her eyes was replaced with excitement.

That evening, walking through the beautiful London streets, I didn’t think twice about the beautiful dress I had given up. I could only think of the surprise, the happiness, on Genevieve’s face, and that fact that, at least momentarily, I had eased the aching soul inside one girl.

“Your mother would have been proud.” Isaac said, as if reading my thoughts, his kind face and bright eyes smiling at me.

Well, then, I have not lived in vain.


Second place goes to... John! Thank you for your entry! 



“Courtney, I’m home!” I said as I walked through the door in our downtown apartment. 
“Hi Bret!” My wife of two years entered the front room and gave me a hug. 
“You’ll never guess what happened!” I could barely contain my excitement.
“What?” she asked.
“I got a $5,000 bonus! My manager has been really happy with my work and the owner of the company even called and told me that I was getting promoted!”
“Oh my goodness!” Courtney was just as ecstatic as I was.
“God’s really been helping me exceed and be successful and now everyone sees it. We can finally start planning for that dream vaction--” I was cut off by a knock on the door. I opened it and there stood a man who lived one street over. I had only talked with a few times and I knew he was going through some hard financial times. His family wasn’t always the best dressed and his car wasn’t the nicest but he had good character. 
He cleared his throat before speaking in a soft voice. “Mr. Johnson-” 
He didn’t need to finish. I knew what he was going to say. Even before he started talking, I knew what God wanted me to do. “Here, Mark.” I said as pressed the envelope that was still in my hand into his. 
“Thank you.” he said with face beaming. “You’re very kind.” 
“God bless,” I replied. He turned and walked down the street. Once I closed the door, I realized what I had just done, but I didn’t regret it.
“You gave your bonus.” My wife observed. I lifted my gaze from the floor to her face and was surprised to see her smiling at me. “You did the right thing and I’m proud of you, even if we don’t get to go on that dream vacation just yet.”
“It was worth it. Now, come on let’s go celebrate!”



IF I CAN STOP ONE HEART FROM BREAKING

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

By Emily Dickinson


It seems this was a popular poem to use!
Thank you to everyone who entered!
 -Mikayla

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a kid friendly site, so please keep that in mind while commenting. Also, I aprechaite hearing your thoughts and will reply to your comment as soon as possible.