Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Writing Advice With: Sarah Holman

Today I have writing advice with Sarah Holman:

1. What is your favorite part about writing? Why?
I love taking a character though adventures and seeing how they change and grow from them. I pour a lot of my heart into my stories and I grwo as much form the stories as the main characters.

2. Who helped you the most while you were beginning to write?
My mom and dad. Without their encouragement. I never would have made it through writing book one. They continue to help be grow in my craft and give me the ability to stay home and pursue my dreams.

3. What first gave you the idea for The Destiny Of One
 I watched the first Star Wars movie ever made when I was sixteen. I loved the idea of Science fiction, but disliked all the very anti-Christian elements in Star Wars. I set out to write a God honoring story set in space, and that was how The Destiny of One was born.

4. Do you have any more projects in the works?
 Lots! I am currently editing a historical fiction titled A Different Kind of Courage. It is set in Boston in 1774-1775, about a young man who is tron between loyalty to the king and his family, and his friends who are part of the struggle for freedom. I am also writing an FBI book that has yet to have a name.

5. If you were to start over, what would you do differently? (Providing that you still had the knowledge of writing you do now?)
Nothing. Each story I wrote, even the ones not good enough to publication, were stepping stones. There are flaws in all my books, but God has used them anyway. I wouldn't change a thing.

6. Remembering when you were first starting out, what was the most important thing you were told, or learned along the way? 
The most important thing, with out a doubt, is something my parents reminded me of often: write for God not for man. They reminded me often of this not only in my writing but in my life. If I write for the glory and honor of God, then even if not many people like the book, I know that I can be proud. 

7. What is the most valuable writing advice you can give to writers? 
 The same as I was given. Write for God, not for men. Learn you craft well, refine it, but ultimately, write to honor God. 

Ysa

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a kid friendly site, so please keep that in mind while commenting. Also, I aprechaite hearing your thoughts and will reply to your comment as soon as possible.