Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Interview with Rachel Rossano

We are delighted today to have an interview with Rachel Rossano!

Rachel Rossano


First could you tell us a bit about yourself?



I am a happily married homeschooling mother of three rambunctious children. I write to keep sane in the craziness of all my other responsibilities. I also design book covers and format books on the side.


What's your favorite book?



The Bible, but that was a given. Beyond that, I have too many to count. :) I love to read and enjoy many books.


Who's your favorite Author?



My mainstay author that I pick up when I am needing a bit of creative boost is Diana Wynne Jones. She writes fun middle-grade and up fantasy. She came before and was a better writer than J. K. Rowling, but with a similar style.


If you could meet one person who would it be?



I am looking forward to meeting my Savior, Jesus Christ. There are many people I would love to meet, but am equally fearful that I would botch the meeting. Though, I would have liked to speak with C. S. Lewis and pick his brain about writing, the classics, and theology.


Can you tell us anything about the book your working on right now?



I am currently editing the sequel to Duty. The new novel is titled Honor and explores the challenges of serving an dishonorable master for honorable purposes. After five years as Securer of the Realm, the Earl of Dentin begins to lose his sense right and wrong. Sent on a mission that bothers his conscience, he encounters, Lady Elsa Reeve, the daughter of a destitute baron. A woman with no power and no control over her own future confronts him with the way he is blindly following a corrupt king.


How did you begin writing?



I didn't like the ending of some of my favorite books, so I began rewriting them in my head. Then I started writing my own stories from scratch mixing and matching elements I liked from other books. Before I knew it I was writing them in my head. Putting them on paper was just a natural progression. Once I finished my first novella as a teenager, I was hooked. I have been writing ever since.


What inspired you to begin writing?



I spent my childhood reading great stories, engaging characters, and exploring new worlds within the pages of books. Before long I was thinking of ways I thought I could make the story better or more appealing to me.


What is your favorite genre?



I like many genres. I can't seem to stick to one. For reading, I especially enjoy history, historical fiction, science fiction, romance (clean and sweet), literary fiction, mysteries, adventure, and many more. Writing wise, I tend to stick to non-magical fantasy that feels like Medieval historical adventure novels, but I have tried my hand at science fiction, speculative fiction, and contemporary romance. All of my novels reflect a Christian world and some of them are inspirational.


Do you do any research for you books? If you do what are your main sources?



I do research for my books, especially my medieval world ones. I use a variety of sources. History books, YouTube videos, online articles from good internet resources, videos and audio courses from Great Courses have all helped me in the past. Also, there is nothing like speaking with someone who has first hand experience with something, like handling and riding horses.


What do you like most about writing?



Oh, I have to choose? I love the writing part. Creating a world, characters, and situations and then exploring them makes for great fun. It takes more work than simply reading a book, but the work is worth it because I have something tangible when I am done. Something I can share and others can enjoy over and over again.


Any final thoughts?


Thank you for interviewing me today. I am delighted to meet you all. It is always delightful to spend sometime talking about writing, books, and the wonderful world of words.

Thank you for your time Mrs. Rossano!
-Mikayla-

Find more of Rachel here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a kid friendly site, so please keep that in mind while commenting. Also, I aprechaite hearing your thoughts and will reply to your comment as soon as possible.