Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Interveiw

                    Hello everyone! Today we've got an interveiw with K.M. Weiland, Enjoy!                                                 



First, could you tell us a bit about yourself?
I’m a very stereotypical writer chick, hibernating in my make-believe worlds, most of which are either historical or fantasy. I’ve published three novels A Man Called Outlaw (western), Behold the Dawn(historical set during the Third Crusade), Dreamlander (fantasy), and the non-fiction writing how-to books Outlining Your Novel and Structuring Your Novel.

Can you tell us anything about the book youre working on right now?
I’m actually in between projects right now. I just finished work on a dieselpunk novel, set in 1920, called Storming. After an eccentric woman falls out of the sky onto his biplane, an irresponsible barnstormer must help her prevent a pirate dirigible with a weather machine from wreaking havoc on the Nebraska hometown he fled nine years ago.

Do you do any research for you books? If you do what are your main sources? 
Most of my books have a historical angle (even the speculative ones), so I usually end up doing some intensive research. I rarely start a book without having a basic knowledge of the time period I’m exploring. I use that knowledge to write a complete outline. Then, once I have a better idea of the specific questions I’ll need to answer in my research, I start collecting materials. The library is my first stop, and then I get to go on a book-buying binge to fill in the holes.

What do you find hardest about the writing process?
Every book is its own adventure. Something that’s easy in one book can end up being surprisingly difficult in another. Major rewrites, when they’re necessary, are probably my least favorite part—but they offer their own rewards too. Honestly, I enjoy aspects of every part of the process.

What do you like most about writing? 
The conception stage, before I’ve put the idea down on paper, is always my favorite. The story is free and full of possibilities and uncaged by my words. But I also love the outlining period, when I’m really digging into the story and discovering the path it’s going to take.

Thank you so much for your time! 
   ~Mikayla~



K.M. Weiland is the author of the epic fantasy Dreamlander, the historical western A Man Called Outlaw and the medieval epic Behold the Dawn. She enjoys mentoring other authors through her website Helping Writers Become Authors, her books Outlining Your Novel and Structuring Your Novel, and her instructional CD Conquering Writer’s Block and Summoning Inspiration. She makes her home in western Nebraska.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a kid friendly site, so please keep that in mind while commenting. Also, I aprechaite hearing your thoughts and will reply to your comment as soon as possible.